Questions from a first timer

Information, discussion and questions about The Night before Christmas and Dazzled to Death

Postby styx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:14 am

Hi,

I just bought the game and am planing to play it in a week. At the moment there are about 18 players. Here are some questions I still have though.

I the family tree available to all? Should it be included in the character envelopes?

There are one or two people who are interested in playing, but English is not there first language and are afraid that they won't be able to keep up with the flow. One of them suggested that the two of them play a single character. That way they could help each other with the words and such. I'm not sure if that would work, but I was thinking that I could assign them characters that work together anyways. One is female and the other male. The ladies english isn't too bad, although the guys is a bit lacking. They seem so eager, that I'd feel bad if they couldn't join in.

Can anyone tell if the diamonds are real or fake, just by a rock-paper-scissors test? Only certain ones?

Does blood need to be taken some how for a blood test to be done? What if a player doesn't understand the importance of the blood groups?

Should the first aid kits have a comment directing the user to the waiter?

Should the players have watches with them? Should I be timing interactions? Is it all just a general feeling?

Are arrests announced to all? Is it kept quite? Is the prisoner removed from the room until the evidence is heard? Is it only presented to the waiter? Does X need to announce that they are an FBI agent before arresting someone?

Would I be able to get character list, and character info, in a non-pdf file to allow me to add the info and names for the new characters.

Also, I purchased the game for the hostel that I'm staying in. I was wondering if it would be okay for them to use it again, when I'm not here. They're already reimbursed me for it.

I realize that you might not be able to give me an official answer to these. I think I'm just trying to find some kind of suggestions.

I guess that's about it for now. =]

Thanks

Jana
styx
Junior Murderer

Postby mo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:34 am

Hi Jana,

Great questions! I'll work through them in order:

Is the family tree available to all? Should it be included in the character envelopes?

It is available to all. You can put it in the envelopes if you like (maybe on the back of the cast list), or you could just fix a few copies up on the walls at the party.

There are one or two people who are interested in playing, but English is not there first language and are afraid that they won't be able to keep up with the flow. One of them suggested that the two of them play a single character. That way they could help each other with the words and such. I'm not sure if that would work, but I was thinking that I could assign them characters that work together anyways. One is female and the other male. The ladies english isn't too bad, although the guys is a bit lacking. They seem so eager, that I'd feel bad if they couldn't join in.

Mm, I'm also not sure if it would work for them to play a character together. Let me come back to this one, I'll give a proper answer when I've thought about it a bit.

Can anyone tell if the diamonds are real or fake, just by a rock-paper-scissors test? Only certain ones?

Anyone can tell.

Does blood need to be taken some how for a blood test to be done?

Yes.

What if a player doesn't understand the importance of the blood groups?

When you give a player the results of the test, ask them if they understand the importance -- if they don't, then you can explain it to them then.

Should the first aid kits have a comment directing the user to the waiter?

Yes, they should I think, that's a good idea! We'll add that.

Should the players have watches with them? Should I be timing interactions? Is it all just a general feeling?

It's just a general feeling really, it doesn't have to be precise. (In our more recent games we just say 'talk briefly to someone' rather than a specific number of minutes.) It's good to have a clock or something generally visible though, so people can have an idea of how the evening's progressing.

Are arrests announced to all? Is it kept quite?

That's up to the person doing the arrest -- they can choose to make it as public as they can, or to try and keep it quiet. Of course, if the person being arrested protests loudly, then it will probably become public anyway.

Is the prisoner removed from the room until the evidence is heard?

No, they can stay in the room and continue interacting with the other players, they just lose their ability cards.

Is it only presented to the waiter?

Yes.

Does X need to announce that they are an FBI agent before arresting someone? [NB I've removed the name here and in your post above, in case any players are reading this!]

Yes (and show their ID badge), to the person they're arresting, but they don't have to announce it publicly.

Would I be able to get character list, and character info, in a non-pdf file to allow me to add the info and names for the new characters.

Yes, sure -- if you email me (click on my name to the left here) so I have your email address, I can send it to you. Is Microsoft Word format OK for you?

Also, I purchased the game for the hostel that I'm staying in. I was wondering if it would be okay for them to use it again, when I'm not here. They're already reimbursed me for it.

That's absolutely fine, as long as they don't charge people money to play in it. (If they want to do that, they would have to pay extra to upgrade to the commercial license for the game.)

best wishes,

Mo
mo

Postby mo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Jana,

After thinking about this, I think the best characters for your two non-native-Englsih speakers might be Rose and James. These two will probably work closely together throughout the game, so they'll be able to help each other. If you're familiar with both characters yourself, then you'll be able to intervene, help, and maybe read through the character sheets with them in advance so you can make sure they've got the essential points?

best wishes,

Mo
mo

Postby styx » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi Mo,

Thanks for responding so promptly. Sorry about the naming of names. Forgot that there might be people who don't know the game yet.

In regards to the blood test, would the waiter some how need to obtain the sample? Would the person asking for the test? Would the person who's blood is being taken know?

Here is an interesting thought. If the FBI agent does not have an ID badge on them, would they lose the ability to arrest someone? I guess since the ID badge has a picture on it no one else would be able to use it. Do you think someone else would be able to manipulate the badge so that the non-FBI agent would be able to use it?

I think at most the hostel would charge people for the food, not the game itself.

Rose and James. Hmmm. Alright. I'll talk to them about it.

Thank you again for all your help.

Jana
styx
Junior Murderer

Postby mo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi Jana,

In regards to the blood test, would the waiter some how need to obtain the sample? Would the person asking for the test? Would the person who's blood is being taken know?

If the person providing blood is doing so voluntarily, then the waiter just needs to be told it's happened. (The doctor can just mime using a syringe on them.) If they want to take blood without the person's permission, then the waiter can use their judgement on how good the plan is -- it shouldn't be too difficult (eg. one person distracts the victim by talking, the other one mimes sticking a syringe into their back), but the victim should definitely know that it's happened.

Here is an interesting thought. If the FBI agent does not have an ID badge on them, would they lose the ability to arrest someone?

Yes, that is interesting! I would say they do lose the ability.

I guess since the ID badge has a picture on it no one else would be able to use it.

That's right.

Do you think someone else would be able to manipulate the badge so that the non-FBI agent would be able to use it?

I don't think it would really be possible, given the technology available in the setting.

I think at most the hostel would charge people for the food, not the game itself.

That's fine then.

Rose and James. Hmmm. Alright. I'll talk to them about it.

If you know the players well, then you may think two of the other characters are more appropriate -- basically as long as you feel you'll be able to make sure they understand the important things about the character and what it's going to be doing in the game, it should be fine!

best wishes,

Mo
mo

Postby styx » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:34 am

Should all the Moment of Passion abilities have the limitation that it can't be used on siblings? I speak specificaly about Charles ability, which does not state it.

Thanks

Jana
styx
Junior Murderer

Postby styx » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:36 am

Oh, and anothe thing. Should more first aid kits be added if one includes Beryl Sutton in the game?

Thanks,

Jana
styx
Junior Murderer

Postby mo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Jana,

Yes, they should all have that limitation -- thanks for spotting!

best wishes,

Mo
mo

Postby mo » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi Jana,

An extra first aid kit shouldn't really be necessary. But maybe that's something you can play by ear as you're hosting the game -- if the existing ones get used up quickly, then you can add in another one (Soames can find a spare one in the cellar, or something like that).

best wishes,

Mo
mo

Return to The Night before Christmas / Dazzled to Death