Decorating

ddoll
Murderer

Decorating

Postby ddoll » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:14 am

I'm looking for some ideas on how to decorate for this party. Are we supposed to be in a cave setting, or futuristic office?

mo

Re: Decorating

Postby mo » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

Hi there,

I guess the ideal with a Hollywood budget would be a mix of the two, ie. rough cave walls but futuristic office eqpt built into it. But if you're running it in a home or function room, the cave wall look is going to be tricky to achieve… so unless you have some good ideas for that, then just the futuristic office look will do fine.

best wishes,

Mo

kevdines
New murderer

Postby kevdines » Wed May 07, 2014 3:49 pm

When I ran it, we went for a retro-futuristic look (like the 1960s Batman TV series). We home-made "computers" made from large cardboard boxes painted grey: one had christmas lights poked through from behind (which moved on a pattern), another had old vinyl records masquerading as tape-to-tape reels and another had a laptop balanced precariously inside showing a radar sequence on loop. They all looked surprisingly good, and as all the boxes were free from the supermarket and the lights and LPs came from charity shops, it was very affordable too. I toyed with the idea of LED strips too, but as it was approaching Christmas, they were more expensive than usual.

I also pinched the idea from the "examining the body card" and marked out a body outline in masking tape, and put the information card in it. I think this helped a lot for people who hadn't played the games before as, in my experience, they tend not to realise that there's more information avialable from the host. And on that subject, as HOST, I wore a blue morph suit (which was entertaining and repulive in roughly equal proportions).

mo

Postby mo » Thu May 08, 2014 8:38 am

That sounds fantastic, Kev! Do you have any photos that we could put up here to show people how it came out?

(Apart, possibly, from the blue morph suit…)

Clarepain1982
New murderer

Postby Clarepain1982 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi

I'm hosting this game in May (will be our 2nd Free Form game) and busy planning everything. My idea for the cave scene is clearing out my lounge from as much furniture as possible, and I've brought a roll of really cheap black fabric which will be draped on all walls, and I'm going to glue crumpled newspaper across it to give it a rocky texture and then paint that. Well thats the plan anyway lol!! Like the computer ideas on here, so will be using some of those!

mo

Postby mo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 am

That sounds fantastic! We'd love to see some pictures of how it ends up, if you take any?

best wishes,

Mo

Return to “Ideas, hints and tips”