Floor Plan

Information, discussion and questions about Lord and Lady Westing's Will
nicoleb
Intermediate Murderer

Floor Plan

Postby nicoleb » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:11 am

Hi there: I am in the midst of planning my fourth game of yours and am really excited to host Lord and Lady Westing's Will. The floor plan addition is new to me though so I'm wondering how you envision physically creating the rooms. Is it the intent that the guests should be able to physically enter the rooms or is the plan given just for orientation?

Also I'm expecting 17 guests. Is there an additional character I can download or do I need to make the extra person an assistant?

Thank you. Nicole

mo

Re: Floor Plan

Postby mo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for trying so many of our games! -- that's really good to hear.

The floorplan is just intended for orientation, so the players can see how the various areas are supposed to relate to each other (and, more importantly, to give them the idea that they can ask to visit one or more of the bedrooms [and the garden] if they wish). We don't expect people to recreate the layout in their own physical space. I guess if you have a large hall or something like that, then you could mark off the variosu areas with tape, but to be honest I don't think that would really add much to the game.

(We don't generally show floorplans because we want to make it clear that the game will work in pretty much any shape of space, but for this particular game the orientation is important, so we thought we'd better put it in.)

We do have one extra character for the game -- Sam Doubloon, antiques collector. If you go back to your download page you should see a link for it -- or else email us on info@freeformgames.com and we can email you it.

best wishes,

Mo

nicoleb
Intermediate Murderer

Postby nicoleb » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:25 pm

As always, that was a helpful response! Thank you and keep up for the good work! Nicole

mo

Postby mo » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:11 am

Thank you! :-)

nicoleb
Intermediate Murderer

Postby nicoleb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:20 pm

The party's tomorrow and I realized that I had another question about the floor plan. Should I make an announcement about the rooms/floor plan before the game begin? Or should I just let people ask if they can search a room if they think to do it themselves??

mo

Postby mo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 am

We prefer to let people think of it themselves, rather than make an announcement. Partly because this then gives an advantage to clever players who think of it first; and partly so we as hosts don't get besieged at the start of the game with all the players wanting to search rooms right away.

Although if no-one's thought of it after an hour or so, you could start quietly suggesting it to people -- but this is unlikely: generally someone will have the idea, and then it will spread.

Good luck with the party tomorrow!

best wishes,

Mo

nicoleb
Intermediate Murderer

Postby nicoleb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:29 am

This is what I thought. Thanks for a quick reply. Nicole

RadShuk
New murderer

Postby RadShuk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi there, sorry I'm new at this and a bit slow here. I'm playing the game in a couple days. So am I not supposed to lay out the item cards that are visible to all? Or do I hold on to them until someone asks to search a room?

and if I hold on to them, when someone asks me what's in a room do I tell them all the contents (including the observant ones) if they are observant only? Also what if they ask for all the cards in that room.. Can I give them to them?

Sorry, I was of the understanding that the items in plain site were left around the room but now I'm confused!

Many thanks!

mo

Postby mo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi there,

Yes, that's correct, you don't lay out the item cards -- you keep them with you. If someone asks to search a particular room then you show them the 'in plain sight' items for that room (and also the 'observant only' items if they have the Observant ability), but not otherwise. The idea is that players shouldn't have any clue that there are particular items in any room unless they actually ask to search it.

And yes, if they ask to take some or all of the items that they've seen, you give the items cards to them: that's their reward for having had the good idea of searching the room. It's up to them if they want to share what they've fond with other players or not! And then if another player comes and searches that room later, don't tell them about those items that have been taken.

(It's also possible that players might want to plant an item that they already had in a room. That's fine too -- they just give you the item, and when next someone searches that room, you tell them that they find this planted item as well as anything else that's still in the room.)

best,

Mo

Return to “Lord and Lady Westing's Will”