Drop out rates

Discussion and questions about Freeform Games in general
EnigmaticChris
New murderer

Drop out rates

Postby EnigmaticChris » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:30 pm

Hi there,

I wanted to do a little comparison if possible. I seem to run about 10-15% of people who've signed up for a murder mystery dropping out in the last 5 days. Illness is the normal reason given, but sometimes it's more vague. I just wanted to compare what the general rates are for other people. Trying to see if the rate is typical across other locations.

For context, I run about one every two months for groups of friends who hire me, and I don't think I've had one in the last half dozen that hasn't had someone cancel last minute and need me to swap characters around to fill in gaps.

Cheers

mo

Re: Drop out rates

Postby mo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:42 am

Our own experience when running these games has been very good re dropouts -- they are very unusual. But then we are usually running playtests of new games or new editions, and the guests are by definition highly motivated.

I wonder if when people are hiring in a commercial service, they're perhaps more likely to have a relaxed attitude to dropping out, maybe not feeling they're 'letting dowbn the event' in the same way they might for a pure amateur party?

(Of course people will have powerful reasons for dropping out at the last minute sometimes -- that can't be helped. It's a rare week when we don't have a few inquiries from hosts wanting advice on how best to rearrange characters in such a situation.)

best,

Mo

Return to “General discussion”