Questions of a host

Information, discussion and questions about Snow Business
achemson2003
Junior Murderer

Questions of a host

Postby achemson2003 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Hi! In a few days I am going to host a Snow Business game, and I have some questions.

1st, a technical one. Some characters, (won't say who), are immune to "Flattery" and a "Moment of Passion" abilities. The problem is that no character has "a moment of passion" ability. Is it another ability instead they are immune to, or they are just immune to flattery?

2nd The abilities some roles have, are significantly more than others, both in number of uses and variety. Doesn't that give them an edge comparing to the others?

3rd Are the abilities important when playing, from your experience? By reading them I was given the impression that they would make the case way too easy, shorten the game significantly and take away from the mystery. From the first five minutes of the game, a player could have learnt a major secret from another player, almost without trying and maybe, without even knowing much about the plot the secret was about. I'm afraid some of the players are going to turn it into a card hunting game instead of a mystery game, so I am thinking that maybe I should limit - omit some abilities. Could you provide any advice on that?

All in all it is a greatly interesting game, with unexpected subplots and intriguing characters. Way to go!

achemson2003
Junior Murderer

Re: Questions of a host

Postby achemson2003 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:18 pm

And a late question, sorry - In the prop items, there is a photo of someone that Daniel carries with him. It is not mentioned on any character sheet, so nobody knows it exists. How is it important? Even the characters with a light finger ability, how can they steal something when they don't know of its existence?

Thanx a million guys, keep up the good work!

mo

Postby mo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the questions! It's great that you've been looking through the game in detail in advance like this – that makes a big difference on the day.

So:

1) In the context of this particular game, ignore the bit about A Moment of Passion – this is an ability that is used in some of our other games. We wanted to make the defensive ability standard across all games, such that whether a game included Flattery, or A Moment of Passion, or both, the same text could be used, so people could become familiar with it. But it may be that this actually causes more confusion than it saves…

2) We try to strike a balance between abilities, goals, and 'character stuff' (what might broadly be thougth of as 'role-playing'). So while some characters are stronger in abilities, others have more active goals, and others will have more overacting and emoting to do. The idea is that hosts can cast their players in the best sort of roles as appropriate. So you might like to assign characters with stronger abilities to players who perhaps are more cautious or quiet, so it gives them a way to get into the game and find things out without having to feel uncomfortable.

3) It really does vary from group to group. Some players rattle through all their abilities quickly, and that opens up the game plots considerably. Others spend the first hour or so getting acquainted and sounding each other out, and only pull the abilities out halfway through. Some players will even go through the whole game without ever touching their abilites, feeling that they don't need them for the kind of game they want to play. So this is quite difficult for us to judge: we aim, I guess, for the average kind of group. So yes, if you think your players are likely to be more 'aggressive' abilties-wise than average, do limit and/or restrict them as you see fit. One simple way to do so without having to rewrite any of the cards is to announce an extra rule that players can't repeat-use a particular ability within 30 minutes.

4) That item is just there really to add a bit of interest and amusement value if it ever does come out. It's not essential in plot terms. But, given there are not a lot of items in the game, and there is quite a lot of thieving ability, chances are quite good that it might actually emerge blinking into the light. The way this works is: if someone tells you they want to steal Item X from Person Y, that's all good, except if Person Y doesn't actually have Item X. In that situation, you should take any other item that Person Y has, at random if they have more than one. (Or if Person Y didn't have any items at all, then the thievery silently fails and the thief doesn't have to check off a use of the ability.) So if thieves are opportunistic, items will start to circulate in unexpected ways.

I hope that all helps – do please say if there's anything else we can tell you, of course. And it's great to hear you like the look of the game so far!

best wishes,

Mo

achemson2003
Junior Murderer

Postby achemson2003 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks a lot for your quick response - you helped a lot! I have already made a less than a minute video clip of the "accident", conveniently going into static when important things happen arround the body, just for the flavor :) . I 've sent this along with the introduction to the participants, and they're already excited. I'm sending character sheets a week before the event (November 19th), cause I really want them to know who they are. Some ambient wind sounds, classical opera, electricity going off at some point with a zzzzz...
I guess you really inspired me!

mo

Postby mo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Your video idea sounds great! -- we would love to see it!

best,

Mo

achemson2003
Junior Murderer

Postby achemson2003 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:25 am

mo

Postby mo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:27 pm

excellent, thanks! -- and terrific music, too.

Return to “Snow Business”