All at Sea was our second murder mystery game and is written by Chris Boote. Apart from amending a couple of errors we haven’t really touched it at all since its release in 2002.
However, since then we’ve changed our game layout (more than once!) and as All at Sea is one of our more popular games, we thought it was worth bringing it up to date.
The most obvious change is it’s title. All at Sea is now Murder at Sea. We changed it’s name for two reasons. The first is that Murder at Sea is a better description of what the game is about, and the second is that putting “murder” in the title of the game helps the search engines realise that our site is about murder mystery games. (If you cast your eye over our current range, that might not jump out at you, and we may may one or two similar changes in the future.)
Here are some of the other changes we’ve made:
- We’ve added a detective to Murder at Sea – Aggie Marbles (who first appeared in Dazzled to Death / The Night Before Christmas). Aggie is 26 in Murder at Sea, and we’ve written a solution to the murder for her to read out at the end of the party.
- With Aggie added to the game, Murder at Sea now needs 17 players as a minimum.
- We’ve reformatted the character sheets. Each is now 8 pages long, including rules and abilities, so that you can now print it in booklet format.
- All of the characters now have three abilities – originally they had only two. Our modern games all give our characters three abilities, and we’ve used our current ability template which helps them be consistent across our games (at least, those that we have updated, anyway!)
- Each character now has a Clue. Previously everyone only had a Secret, but now we’ve given everyone a Clue as well.
- Items and cash now have graphics to go with them.
- We’ve changed the cash from pounds sterling to dollars, on the basis that the ship flies an American flag and has just sailed from New York. (I guess in reality they would use both on board, but to keep things simple we’ve just gone with dollars.)
- The stewards and stewardesses now have first aid kits. That means that players can get medical attention from another player rather than the host.
- We’ve tweaked a few of the characters to give them a little bit more background and to help draw them into the game better.
- Scissors-paper-stone is now rock-paper-scissors.
- We’ve improved the instructions, and added a summary of the characters to help with casting.
If you’ve already bought All at Sea you can download the Murder at Sea right now using the same link and password that we’ve already sent.
Note – the update is for the English version only (at this time).