No answer!

Information, discussion and questions about A Dead Man's Chest
lisatedj
Advanced Murderer

No answer!

Postby lisatedj » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:02 am

I posted some questions nearly a week ago and there is still no answer! I thought you guys were there to answer our questions!

mo

No answer!

Postby mo » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 am

Hi Lisa,

Sorry, we haven't seen any questions from you -- can you point me to them now, please, and I'll answer them for you right away?

best wishes,

Mo

lisatedj
Advanced Murderer

No answer!

Postby lisatedj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:06 am

If you never received my questions, I can understand why you didn't answer them! I wonder what happened. Anyway-
1. Is it 3 wounds before dying, or just one. I understand the no dying before the storm ends, I just seem to remember reading about marking the wounds on the name tag, or something like that.
2. When a character uses poison, do they have to tell the host in advance, so the host can be there to witness the person eating or drinking? If not, they need to inform the host if they succeed and someone is poisoned, right? In the host files, it says that poison can only be cured by poison antidote, is that true? There isn't any poison antidote.
3. Should an unconscious person pass out where they are and lay on the floor for 10 minutes, or should they go sit in a designated 'unconscious-person-spot'?
4. If a character has an unreasonable fear of something, can that fear be cured? Does it count as a mind disease?
5. If a character has the map to the treasure, can it be stolen?
6. If a person pick pockets another character, Should the victim be told who picked their pocket? What if they attempt to follow the host and see to whom the host gives the item?

mo

No answer!

Postby mo » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 am

Hi Lisa,

Sorry about that! Sometimes these things do just go missing, because of over-active spam filtering or whatever. Anyway, here are the answers now.

1) Just one wound. We used to have a more complex system with three wounds to mark off on the card, so you might have seen that in our older games, but we stopped using it a while ago (basically, people felt it was too complicated).

2) a) It's definitely preferable to inform the host first. I guess if you're the host you could be generous and say that if the perfect poisoning opportunity suddenly arises and the player doesn't have the chance to inform the host first, they can go ahead with it, but it depends if you can trust your players not to abuse it really!
b) Sorry, that bit in the rules is poorly worded -- it's meant to be an example of what might be written on a poison card, but it's not a very good one! In A Dead Man's Chest, poison can be cured by the Surgeon's Kit just like a normal injury.

3) Just where they are, unless it's in a particularly uncomfortable or inconvenient spot. The idea is that the other players shouldn't just forget where the unconscious person is and ignore them.

4) Yes, it can, and yes, it does. (Good spot! Most people don't think of that.)

5) Yes, it's treated as an item like any other. If someone new takes the card via pickpocketing, they have to tell the Host, as instructed on it; and then if they want to go and get the treasure, the time counter starts afresh for them.

6) No, the victim shouldn't be told. And they shouldn't be allowed to follow the host, that would be cheating really -- the host will have to just tell them to stop following, if they try to.

best wishes,

Mo

lisatedj
Advanced Murderer

No answer!

Postby lisatedj » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Thank you! You've answered all my questions completely!

mo

No answer!

Postby mo » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:33 am

Hi Lisa,

That's great! Do say if anything else comes up -- and we hope you have a great time with the game,

best wishes,

Mo

lisatedj
Advanced Murderer

No answer!

Postby lisatedj » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:41 am

Hi! I have another question. I was stuffing envelopes, and I found that I have an extra poison. Is Swelter supposed to have both? Or is someone else supposed to have it?

steve

No answer!

Postby steve » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:53 pm

Sawbones gets the other potion of poison.

steve

(Mo's away this weekend.)

lisatedj
Advanced Murderer

No answer!

Postby lisatedj » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:54 am

Okay, here is a question about the black spot. If some one uses an ability on you, you can give them the black spot. If someone attacks you, can you give them the black spot. Brawling is an ability, right? So if someone attacks you without a weapon, you should be able to give them the spot, but what about with a weapon?

mo

No answer!

Postby mo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 pm

Hi Lisa,

This is one of those awkward areas where there's a tension between realism and simplicity. You're right that it doesn't really make much sense to include Brawling under the Black Spot effects, when attacks with weapons aren't affected -- but we didn't want to have to cram an exception onto the Black Spot card.

If you prefer, you could use 'if someone uses an ability on you, or attacks you with a weapon, you can give them the Black Spot' -- that would be more consistent, if you think your players are going to be OK to keep track of that.

best wishes,

Mo

Return to “A Dead Man's Chest”